Last summer after looking online for a yummy green bean & potato salad I ventured into my kitchen and decided to just wing it, the result was my favorite summer picnic salad and it’s husband approved too.
In the summer months I like to keep cooking pretty simple to avoid time indoors, so this recipe only requires a few ingredients, minimal prep and time. I prefer eating this salad at room temperature so all the flavours have a chance to breathe and shine, which makes it great for picnics no refrigeration required, just pack it in your bag and go. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Bean & Potato Picnic Salad
- 2 cups of beans trimmed
- 1 shallot sliced thin
- 3 cups of small red potatoes
Salad Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp of Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp of Grainy Mustard
- Salt & Pepper to season
- Cut potatoes into bite sized chunks and put into pot with water to boil
- While the potatoes are cooking, slice the shallot, trim your beans and make the salad dressing
- Boil potatoes until they start to crumble in the water, just stick a fork into them and if they are starting to fall apart you’re there
- When the potatoes are done put them into a large bowl (don’t rinse them, keep them nice and hot) and add the shallots and 2/3 of the dressing – the smell will bring your husband to the kitchen!
- Steam the beans for approximately 5 minutes, they should be tender with a bit of crunch
- Toss the beans in with the potatoes and shallots and add the remaining dressing